Spring has sprung! That means it’s time to grips with the grass! You should now be mowing often enough to stop your grass growing out of control!
Here are our top lawn care tips for April and May:
• Choose a dry day to mow. Mid to late afternoon is best as any dampness or dew should have dried up.
• Check first. If the grass is too wet you’ll just clog up your mower and this could damage its motor.
• Don’t cut too low! Unless you have a bowling green, taller grass makes for a much healthier lawn.
• An inch and a half to two inches is a good height to aim for the average domestic garden lawn.
• If you do miss a few mows due to wet weather (or having better things to do!) …don’t go back in with a low setting as this will damage the grasses and could lead to yellow patches. Just heighten your mower for the next two cuts before going back to that lower setting.
• From time to time it’s ok to leave grass clippings on your lawn. Grass clippings decompose quickly and can provide nutrients for the lawn.
• If you do use your grass clippings as a form of compost elsewhere in your garden, remember grass treated with herbicides and pesticides shouldn’t be used on flowers or on your vegetable patch.
• Don’t forget to sharpen your mower blade regularly. Blunt blades just shred your grass leaving them with ragged and untidy ends!
J E Lawrence & Sons stock a wide range of lawn mowers, compact tractors and ancillary equipment for commercial and residential use. Their aim is to make sure you buy the correct machine for your intended use at a competitive price with the back-up of their skilled and knowledgeable service and parts departments.
• Call J E Lawrence & Sons on: 01437 731306
• Pop in to the showroom at: Willow Wood, Clarbeston Road SA63 4UN
• Visit them online at: www.jelawrence.co.uk